What is an FEP?
A farm environment plan (FEP) is a tool that can help you recognise on-farm environmental risks and set out a programme to manage those risks.
FEPs are unique to a property and reflect the local climate and soils, the type of farming operation, and the goals and aspirations of the land user.
The level of complexity of an FEP will largely depend on how much farm system change is underway or being considered.
You can record your progress towards achieving “good management practice” (see the Good Management Practice section below) and show you‘re doing the right thing.
What should be in an FEP?
Your resource consent (land use, water use or effluent discharge consent) describes what information should be present in your FEP.
- A Farm Map showing the areas of environmental risks
- Good Management Practices (GMP) you intend to implement on farm to manage the identified risks.
Do I need separate FEPs and FEP Audits for different consent types?
You may be in the situation where you have multiple consents (e.g. discharge to land, farming land use, water take/use etc) that all contain a requirement to implement an FEP and have an FEP audit. This can be confusing as they may have different requirements for FEP content.
Don’t worry, you don’t need to have multiple FEPs or FEP audits.
- All other audits can be combined and streamlined into the farming land use consent FEP audit
- You can have one FEP that covers all consent FEP requirements
- If you don’t have a farming land use consent yet, then you need to continue with the audits for the other consents until the farming land use consent has been granted.
If you are not sure that you are ready for an audit, then check out the FEP Audits page.
Resources & Help
Environment Canterbury Approved Templates
You can also use one of the following Environment Canterbury approved Farm Environment Plans templates.
This template is compliant with the decisions version of Plan Change 5, Schedule 7 Farm Environment Plan content, as at January 2019.
- Foundation for Arable Research
- Irricon Resource Solutions
- Irrigo Centre 03 975 8547
- NZPork Farm Environment Plan
- Synlait Milk Ltd
- Fonterra - Call your Area Manager - 0800 65 65 68
- Ravensdown 021 860 659
- Agri Magic - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Environment Canterbury Farm Environment Plan Template (XLMS 0.91 MB)
- NZ GAP Template
- Opuha Water Ltd
Who can help me writing a Farm Environment Plan?
Your Primary Industry Sector Representative or your Irrigation Scheme, Principal Water Supplier or Hurunui Waiau River Regional Plan Collective can help you writing an FEP.