Scheduled server maintenance
We will be performing server maintenance in the evenings between 23rd and 27th June. Some data pages and external websites we manage will be unavailable during this time. We apologise for any inconvenience.
A guide to acronyms (and abbreviations), words and phrases used throughout the Environment Canterbury website. Look in the 'By Subject' tab to find groups of terms relevant to a specific topic.
Some terms might have definitions in addition to those in this glossary.
Use the online Māori Dictionary to help with translating words between Te Reo Māori/English.
- means an artificial barrier, and any connected structures, that: is constructed to hold back water or other fluid under constant pressure so as to form a reservoir; and is used for the storage, control, or diversion of water or other fluid. Includes: a flood control dam; and a natural feature that has been significantly modified to function as a dam; and a canal; but does not include a stopbank designed to control floodwaters.
- Defence against water (Land and Water Regional Plan)
- Any structure or equipment, including any bund, weir, spillway, floodgate, bank, stopbank, retaining wall, rock or erosion protection structure, groyne, vegetation (including anchored tree protection) or reservoir, that is designed to have the effect of stopping, diverting, controlling, restricting or otherwise regulating the flow, energy or spread of water, including floodwaters, in or out of a water body, artificial watercourse, or artificial lake. For the purpose of this definition, dams are excluded.
- A-weighted decibels
- District Council
- Direct Dial-In phone number
- Dissolved Inorganic Nitrogen
- Do It Yourself
- Do It Yourself
- Deoxyribonucleic acid
- Department of Conservation
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Dissolved Reactive Phosphorus
- Department of Scientific and Industrial Research
- Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning
- Distribution Uniformity
- Digital Video Disc
Environment Canterbury © 2019
Retrieved: 5:46pm, Tue 25 Jun 2019